Monday, December 21, 2009

that verklempt feeling

I hate-love coming across words I don't know. I hate it because it's frusturating to be reading along and then walah there's a foreign word you have absolutely no idea what it is and why you have never seen it before. I love seeing these words because I usually look it up and then I feel that much smarter :)

My word I saw today I actually saw TWICE. I love this new word, it's a nice adjective. This is where I found it, "Every time I left the ALAG space for the day, I noticed a certain thickness rising in my throat, that verklempt feeling I always get at the end of It's a Wonderful Life and whenever I see young girls as happy and carefree as they deserve to be." Then I saw it used later in this sentence, "I smiled at their frenetic raindance, an expression of sheer, youthful joy, and fell back to sleep. A rather verklempt sleep, I should add."

Looked up my new unknown word, verklempt, and it means "overcome with emotion". I usually cry when I am verklempt. I picture the heart overflowing with emotions and that is directly connected to the eyes and therefore tears come pouring out because your heart pushed it out. That's my only explanation of why people cry when they are happy.

I hope you have verklempt feelings this week during the Christmas season.

1 comment:

Berjo said...

I seem to have verklempt feelings a lot these days----it comes with being older, I guess!
Your dad has had verklempt tears all his life, though!!
He cries at commercials and sporting events!
Mom