Sunday, November 7, 2010

The 12South stop sign

It was around 4:30 am last night/this morning, Eden and I were driving home from the flower shop, you know the usual time people get off work. We were driving down 12th ave, and I saw a stop sign and stopped. We both looked at each other and said, "Wait. We've never stopped here before." So we look at the stop sign and it was leaning on a tree and it was upright making it look like it was a real stop sign. We laughed about it and just wondered if someone was video camering the stop sign to see how many people would stop for the fake stop sign.

I quickly forgot about it until I was driving home today from a friend's house and stopped at the corner of Sweetbriar and 12th. The exact corner from last night/earlier that morning. I was at the other corner of the street waiting to turn on 12South and I noticed the other car on 12th was waiting for me because they had a "stop sign." So I looked behind me after I turned on this new fake 3 way stop and I noticed the next car did not stop but the one behind it did and then the next car kind of just yielded and the next car stopped completely.

I like how much power a stop sign has even if it's leaning on a tree. Speed limits are white, unnoticed sometimes and almost seem like a suggestion. But stop signs are red, bold and cause immediate action when seen. We'll see how long it leans. Maybe it will become permanent. It makes me think where else we can lean stop signs around Nashville.

No comments: