Friday, February 6, 2009

the ban of Celina Gomez

This all started one day when I heard one of my boys saying someone was "sexy". He in the other corner of the room, but when a teacher hears the word "sexy" being used from a 5th grader, you hear it no matter what the distance. So I made a spectacle of him and told him he should not describe girls that way and he should call them pretty or nice or hott but don't use that word. Most of the class didn't know what he said so they were telling each other he said the "s.y." word so they wouldn't get in trouble. The boy told me that he was talking aboutCelina Gomez, the hottest girl EVER! I had no idea who she was. I found out she is on a Disney show, which is probably why I haven't heard of her since I haven't watched that channel since "ZooblieZoo" was on.
From that day on some of the boys in my class were bringing in pictures of this girl, putting them in their lockers and desks. They were talking about how she was soo hott, soo perfect, soo fabulous. (They actually didn't say "fabulous". I just realized that girls pretty much are the only ones that describe things or people as "fabulous".) I had no idea my 5th grade boys were so girl obsessed. After 5 days of hearing her name in almost every conversation. It was driving me crazy so I banned the mentioning of the name, Celina Gomez, from the classroom. I haven't heard her name since.
If Celina Gomez does see this, This note is for you: "I'm sorry, Celina, but we just had to ban you. Your "s.y."-ness is too distracting for the classroom. I hope you'll understand." Sincerely, Miss Aaron, the teacher of girl-obsessed 5th grade boys.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Jodi... Dont you love children. I would probably get kicked out of your 5th grade classroom because in my high school classroom I ahve pictures of Zac Efron hanging up and I constantly talk about him and his sexiness! what is it about these Disney channel stars? haha

Ann said...

I laughed out loud, Jo! SO funny! hey...and i miss you!

Joberhamlincolm said...

well, high schoolers i think are allowed to say someone is sexy. If you saw a 5th grader and how small they are you would say, "hey! don't use that word" too.

Amy DeKeyser said...

Oh Jodi...I miss you!!! And I totally agree with you!! 5th grade is way to young to use that word. I don't even think I knew that word existed in 5th grade.