Sunday, February 22, 2009

enjoying what you have

Today my pastor's sermon was on Ecclesiastes 5. I thought his last point was very interesting so I thought I would share it with y'all...

Ecclesiastes 5:19 says, "Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work- this is a gift of God." (italicized was added by me)

So the paster pointed out that we shouldn't ask for more, we should request the gift of enjoying life! The real gift is not having what you want, but enjoying what you have. Enjoy your home, enjoy your job, enjoy your children, your wife, your husband, your friends, your city.

Paul in Philippians 4:12 said almost just that as well, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians, one of my favorite books in the Bible. Read it, it's good stuff.

1 comment:

The Redouteys said...

Catching up on your posts this morning! I love this. I think Pastor Ben is right on... being happy/content with what God has given you right now is important.